Forest City Residential Management Inc.
Resident Portal Login
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

The Wait List Process:

Q: How do I get on the housing wait list and what will I need to complete the process? 
A: All housing applicants must contact the Marine Corps Family Housing Office (MCFHO) at (808) 257-2676 to be placed on the wait list. Below is more information about what is required.
Marines - You will need:
A copy of your web orders
National Sex Offender form (NSO)
DD form 1746 (housing application)
Navy - You will need:
A copy of your orders packet
National Sex Offender form (NSO)
DD Form 1746 (housing application)
(**Note** The DD form 1746 can be downloaded from the Marine Corps Family Housing Office website. You may submit your housing application and required forms to the MCFHO via email or by fax at (808) 257-2676 or visit our “Apply Now” page to see the link to the MCFHO to view their contact information.
**Important: Forest City will not receive your information until you’ve arrived on island and have been briefed by the MCFHO.
Q: What are the benefits of submitting an advance application? Especially, if Forest City will not receive my referral until I arrive on island and get briefed? 
A: The purpose of the advance application is so that the Marine Family Housing Office knows when you’re expected to arrive. Also, it gives the MCFHO advance notice if there are any medical issues that will need to be addressed.
Q: How long will it take for me to get into housing?
A: The estimated wait times are subject to change at any time. Please contact Forest City directly to find out the current wait times for your pay grade and bedroom requirement or scroll down this page to view our current estimates.
**Important: The wait time will not begin until you’ve arrived on island and been briefed by the MCFHO. 
Q: Do families with children have priority over families without? 
A: No, they do not. Your control date is what will determine your position on the list.
Q: How long should I plan to stay in a hotel/lodge? 
A: Unfortunately, we cannot predict that. The wait times vary and are subject to change. Please follow this link to a list of TLA (temporary lodging allowance) government approved hotels and lodges. If you have further questions about TLA, please contact the MCFHO at (808) 257-2676.

Q: What if I get a lease in town but wish to remain on the waiting list for housing?
A: You will need to provide us with a copy of your lease agreement.  The service member will be responsible for keeping Forest City updated with current contact information and the date when he/she would able to accept a housing offer. In the event a service member has a lease and does not want to be considered for housing on base during the duration of the lease, he/she will not be contacted unless housing is available one month prior to the lease expiration date. Service members are responsible for providing Forest City with any and all changes, in writing, to their original lease agreement. Accordingly, personnel with lease agreements will be by passed without penalty and still may work their way up to the top of their respective waiting list.

Lease agreements will only be honored for one year for housing waiting list purposes. Service members must provide a copy of the updated lease agreement and waiting list statement as notification to Forest City that they desire to remain on the waiting list for housing. Failure to provide Forest City with current lease(s) and waiting list statement will result in your name being deleted from the waiting list.

Estimated Wait Times for Housing:

Q:  How long should I expect to wait for housing?
A:  Wait times vary but we have a chart below listing our current average wait times which should give you a general idea what to expect. 

Estimated Waitlist times

The Homes:

Q: Do I need to bring my own washer and dryer?
A: No, all Forest City homes for Marine Corps housing (K-Bay, Manana (USMC), and Camp Smith) come with a washer and dryer already installed. Forest City will NOT remove any appliances from the home, even if you have brought your own.
Q: How big and what type of home will I get?
A: The size (number of bedrooms) of the home you’re eligible for is based on family size, not by rank. This eligibility is determined by the MCFHO. The type of home you’re eligible for will depend on which neighborhood you will be assigned to.
Q: What kind of square footage can I expect?
A: The square footage of homes on MCB Hawaii varies. We have 2-bedroom homes that are 915 square feet and 3-bedroom homes that start at 1200 square feet. The 4-bedroom homes start at 1347 square feet.  Depending on the neighborhood you’re assigned, the square footage may increase.
Q: Do the homes have carpet?
A: Some of the homes have carpet in certain areas, but this varies depending on the neighborhood.
Q: What is the rent and is the base charging for utilities now?
A: The rent is equal to the BAH with dependent rate. Forest city is responsible for the following utilities: water, sewer and trash removal services. The resident is responsible for cable, phone, internet and any overage charges incurred with respect to the Resident Energy Conservation Program (RECP).
Q: What is RECP?
A: The RECP (Residential Energy Conservation Program) goes hand in hand with the Department of Defense (DOD) and Department of the Navy’s (DON) energy conservation initiatives to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, other fossil fuels, and the overuse of electricity.  This policy was set forth in September 1998 by the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) to raise awareness and to encourage residents living in PPV housing to minimize their energy consumption to avoid a utility payment. Commander, Navy Installations Command (CNIC) annouced that RECP would be rolled out to all of the Department of Navy (DON) Public Private Venture housing. The rollout mandated that all RECPs use a 10% buffer above and below the average monthly electricity usage. Under this program, residents only pay for the portion of the electricity bill that falls 10% above the average usage for their like-type group. Residents with usage under the 10% buffer receive a credit or refund.
Q: Our household goods will arrive after we do.  Is there furniture we can use?
A: Forest City does have a Furnishings Department. You may use our loaner furniture for up to 60 days. If the furniture is being misused in any way, our furnishings coordinator reserves the right to remove the items at any time before your 60 days has ended. Also, if the furniture looks like it has been tampered with, you as the resident may be charged for damages.
Q: Is there somewhere I can borrow things like dishes or a coffee maker?
A: The base does have a Lending Locker that can loan items like this out. However, their availability of items is subject to change and they work by appointment only. 


Q: How can I find out information about the public schools in the area?
A: Please follow this link to a listing of the public schools for Kaneohe Marine Corps Base, Manana and Camp Smith.  The Hawaii public school year starts the beginning of August.



Q: Are pets allowed within housing?
A: The base is pet friendly.  Please see the following link for the base regulations for having a pet. Forest City’s pet policy is that you may have no more than 2 mammals per household.  In addition, MCBH does not allow the following breeds:  Pit Bulls, American Pit Bull Terriers, Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Terriers, Rottweilers and wolf breeds.  MCBH also does not allow any crosses/mixes of the above listed breeds or any dogs with characteristics of the above.
All dogs living on MCBH must have a license from the City and County of Honolulu.  Both cats and dogs living on the Base must be registered with the Base Game Warden.  Pets living in Forest City housing will need to be registered with Forest City.  Please go to the link for detailed information about the base regulations.
Q: What is the policy for quarantining my pet?
A: Hawaii is free from rabies. To keep rabies out, Hawaii has strict laws regarding the importation of animals.  Please see the Hawaii government’s website for more information on these policies.  Non-domesticated cats and dogs (e.g. dingoes, wolf and wolf mixes) are prohibited.


Neighborhood Amenities:

Q:  Are there any amenities aboard Kaneohe Marine Corps Base Hawaii (MCBH)?
A:  Yes there are. The Base has Tiki Island Fun Park (with mini-golf), K-Bay Lanes Bowling Alley, the Marine Exchange, Commissary, Mokapu Mall (with a food court), Officers Club, Semper Fit gym, and Klipper Golf Course. The MCCS Marina rents  recreational equipment (like bounce houses and boats), beach cabanas, and camping sites. The Base also includes four beaches, a swimming pool, skate park and, for boat owners, the Marina includes dry storage, slips and moorings. 

Residents of Forest City housing also have the use of two dog parks, a splash park, and two community centers on K-Bay and a third community center in Manana (Pearl City). Our neighborhoods feature playgrounds, pavilions, and basketball courts for our the enjoyment of Forest City residents.
Q:  How about Camp Smith?
A:  Camp Smith has a Semper Fit gym, a food court, library, pool, various shops, the Marine Corps Exchange, and racquetball, handball, tennis, and volleyball courts.
Q:  How about Manana?
A:  The Manana housing community features a community center, fitness center, pool, Marine Mart, baseball field, skate park, and tennis, volleyball, and basketball courts. There are also a playgrounds and parks within Manana. Manana is a quiet, gated community featuring mature trees. It is located near shopping, restaurants, and other amenities. 

Other Housing Options:

Q: What if I’m not interested in base housing or the wait is just too long? Is there someone who can help me find a rental off base?
A: Unfortunately, there is not.  However, we do recommend looking at possible rentals ahead of time so you know what to expect in our economy before you arrive on island.  Below are a couple of links to websites that list rental homes.  Also, if you know what you're looking for, the MCFHO may have a book listing rentals from which they may be able to assist you.
Exceptional Service Is Our Standard
Forest City Residential Management Inc.